Thursday, May 22, 2014

John's Immortalised Game

Not often these days that an S&B player makes it to a national chess column, so here we proudly present Dave Ledger (Hackney 1) v John Carlin (Streatham 1) from Division 1, London League, played 30 January 2012, immortalised in the Sunday Telegraph 18 May 2014 - and here's the photo to prove it.

Column copyright: Sunday Telegraph.
Telegraph daily chess column here
Photo by J. Carlin!
Ok, so the news travelled slowly (although the score did the rounds in S&BCC circles at the time), but has now reached the outside world, and many thanks to Malcolm Pein for featuring the game, and for agreeing to let us reproduce his column, with his notes. You get a bonus "Worst Move On the Board", too.

Game player after the break:




Well played John; and sporting of Dave to allow that stunning mate at the end.

5 comments:

Jonathan B said...

"Not often these days that an S&B player makes it to a national chess column"

Angus would have been the last, I suppose. Also in the Telegraph. I’d link to it but the blogger search function is playing up.

ejh said...

I've been in Malcolm's column twice. Once in about 2004 when I was pasted by Mark Hebden in a game in Coventry: and once in 1999 when I had two games from Oban featured. (The first I won, the other my opponent improved on the first one and I lost. It was the top board game in the last round and as I recall I went away with nothing.)

Matt Fletcher said...

I had a game in the Times once, as it had won the Best Game prize in the final of the schools tournament.

(PS that pawnstorm is quite something!)

ejh said...

Did it appear with any notes? If so....

Matt Fletcher said...

I can't remember whether there were notes - there may well have been some sparse comments...

But I very much doubt it will have been recycled!